Keynotes & Workshops
Abour Dr. Ann Steiner, Keynote and Workshop Presenter
Ann Steiner, Ph.D., M.F.T. (CA license #ML17115), CGP (Certified Group Psychotherapist), FAGPA (Fellow, American Group Psychotherapy Association), is a Licensed Marriage Family Therapist who has professional and personal experience with chronic physical illness. This makes her a dynamic and powerful speaker invited to give keynote addresses and other talks throughout the US and internationally for medical and mental health organizations, consumer groups and other illness-related organizations.
Her book, How to Create and Sustain Groups that Thrive: Therapist's Workbook and Planning Guide, has received wide praise nationally.
NEWS! Karnac Books, London will be releasing her latest book, Groups that Thrive: Workbook and Planning Guide, for leaders of work groups, book and service clubs, January, 2017.
Dr. Steiner has published over twenty articles, spoken nationally and taught about the important, yet taboo, topics of dealing with chronic medical conditions and preparing for illness, death, relocation and retirement among therapists.
Her writings about the Therapist's Professional Will have been:
- Cited in The Wall Street Journal
- Included in a textbook entitled, Skilled Empathy: Creating Safety Through Therapeutic Attachment (Gollnick, 2005)
- Incorporated into the curriculum for FilmTx, a continuing education provider
- Reprinted in the CAMFT journal The California Therapist
- Posted on the CAMFT website
- C.E. Provider for MFTs and LCSWs in the state of California.
- BBS Continuing Education Provider #PCE 4462
- Units for psychologists pending
- Published in The New Therapist, a journal distributed in South Africa, New Zealand and Australia
** Check her Calendar, to see a list of Dr. Steiner's upcoming presentations for the public and mental health professionals.**
Keynotes & Workshops: For Therapists
She has presented workshops about coping with chronic medical illness or the Therapist's Professional Will for organizations such as the:
- American Group Psychotherapy Association
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- International Human Learning Resources Network
- California Psychological Association
“Whenever I sign up for an Ann Steiner course I know she's going to deliver an amazing comprehensive packet that she has extensively developed and delivers with such a passion.”
Wendy Brown, MFT San Francisco, CA
The American Group Psychotherapy Association recently asked Dr. Steiner to be videotaped for a You Tube clip about the benefits of group therapy, specifically for people with medical issues and illnesses:
To see a list of upcoming speaking engagements for therapists, please see Upcoming Workshops and Presentations for Mental Health Professionals in the Calendar section. You can see a partial list of organizations to which Dr. Steiner has made presentations as well as detailed information on her qualifications and experience on her Biography page.
To hire Dr. Steiner to give a keynote address or provide in-service training for your organization, please see about booking Dr. Steiner.
Sample Talk Topic Menu
Law & Ethics
- The Therapist's Professional Will: If Not Now, When?
- Planning for Therapist Absence: Illness, Retirement, or Relocation
- The Rollercoaster of Chronic Illness: How to Add Joy to the Ride
- Understanding the Normal Stages of Coping with Chronic Illness
- End of Life Issues: How to Reduce Everyone's Pain
- Helping Patients and Families Cope with Progressive Illness
- Caregivers Need Tender Loving Care Too
About Group Therapy
- What Every Therapist Should Know About Therapy Groups
- The Nuts and Bolts of Starting and Maintaining Healthy Groups
- Believing in Ourselves: One Woman's Journey From Wheelchair to Motivational Speaker
Sample Presentation Descriptions
1. The Therapist's Professional Will
Title: How to Write Your Own Therapist's Professional Will: If Not Now, When?
Description: A Therapist's Professional Will spells out your wishes for the continuing care of your patients in your absence. The concept resonates with helping professionals, but the prospect of putting one in place is daunting. By completing such a will you will have done everything possible to assure the continuity of care for your patients, will have given yourself peace of mind and reduced the trauma for family and friends. This keynote presentation gives you the tools to start your own Therapist's Professional Will.
2. Chronic Illness, Aging and Disability Related Topic
Title: The Rollercoaster of Chronic Illness: How to Add Joy to the Ride
This presentation will help you:
- Understand normal reactions to illness and disability
- Improve your communication skills
- Improve team work with family and friends
- Increase your comfort asking for, giving and receiving help
- Make room for comfort and joy
- Deal more effectively with health care providers
- Increase compassion for yourself and others
- Learn ten tips for the emotional care and feeding of caregivers
- Beware of the hazards of being a care-partner for a loved one
- Know the warning signs of burnout
Please see the Calendar for upcoming workshops and presentations for Mental Health Professionals by Dr. Ann Steiner
Dr. Steiner is passionate about helping patients and therapists live life to the fullest. She gives keynote addresses, leads workshops, is a motivational speaker, and consults with patients, organizations, practicing therapists, attorneys, and health care workers. Any content area can be presented as inspirational keynote presentations, in-service training events, half or all-day workshops, group discussions, etc.
I prefer to design each presentation to address the particular needs of your membership or organization. Depending on the needs of your membership, the format can include interactive sections, short small group discussions etc.
If you have any questions or want to discuss how I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at (925) 962-0060, or by sending an email with your phone number and a variety of times when it would be convenient for me to return your call.
National Speakers Association